The cornerstone for the present church was laid in 1761, with the dedication held in 1766, with Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, the patriarch of the Lutheran Church in America, officiating.
The 195-foot tower was added to the Georgian rectangular building in 1794, and the two vestibules were added in 1853.
Significant milestones in the history of the church include:
- 1730 - Church organized
- 1738 - Small Stone church constructed on site of present Parish House
- 1761 - Cornerstone laid for present building.
- 1766 - Sanctuary Dedicated
- 1774 - Tannenberg Organ installed
- 1794 - Steeple completed and dedicated
- 1853 - Interior of the church redecorated, reorienting front door from Duke Street to Mifflin Street
- 1893 - The painting behind the pulpit, H.K. Beck's "Christ's Resurrection, was added
Click on a link below to view a downloadable PDF of various detailed history facts.