Two years before the birth of George Washington and 46 years before the Declaration of Independence, The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity was a worshipping congregation. Formally organized in 1730, Trinity is the oldest church in Lancaster and one of the oldest in Pennsylvania.
The congregation worshipped in a small stone church on Duke of Cumberland Street for thirty years. Construction of the present brick building began in 1761. In 1766 the new church was dedicated with Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, the patriarch of the Lutheran Church in America, officiating.
Trinity is a living church with the clear recognition of God's goodness in yesteryear, the hearty expectation of His blessings in the present and confidence in His strength for the future.
Guided Tours of Trinity Church are available on Sundays at 9:45 a.m. and 12:00 noon year round and on Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon during the summer months.
For information about researching family records in Holy Trinity's archives, please contact our archivist, Joan Kahler at firstname.lastname@example.org